Lobster or Shrimp Newburg
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 15 mins
Use shrimp or lobster in this elegant New York classic.
At Delmonico's, the kitchen might have served Newburg over toast cut into triangles, but rice works just fine.
- 3 cups cooked lobster or shrimp (about 1 pound lobster or 3/4 pound shrimp)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- Cut lobster into bite-size chunks. If using shrimp, leave whole or cut in half
- Whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup cream. In a large nonstick skillet, melt butter. Add fish and toss to coat with butter. Add remaining cream, sherry, salt and cayenne; simmer 3 minutes to slightly reduce. Lower heat.
- Ladle a scant 1/4 cup of sauce into yolk mixture; whisk. Stir yolk mixture into the pan; cook and stir until sauce thickens. Do not boil. Serve over toast or hot cooked white rice.
Recipe by Jean Kressy.