Lobster Mac and Cheese
- Yield 8 servings
Serve this rich pasta and lobster dish in very small portions—it's rick, and oh, so good.
- Kosher salt
- Olive oil
- 1 box macaroni pasta
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon tamato paste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked lobster meat or crab
- 1 1/2 cups panko (Japanese) breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boiling, and add a little salt. Add macaroni and cook 1 minute less than call for in the package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat milk and wine in a pan, but don’t boil. In another large pot, melt 6 tablespoons of butter and add flour. Cook over low heat 2 minutes, whisking to form a smooth sauce. Still whisking, add tomato paste, chicken stock, sherry and milk mixture. Cook for a couple minutes more, until thickened and smooth. Turn off heat. Add Gruyere and Cheddar and season with salt and pepper. Add cooked macaroni and lobster and stir well. Place mixture in 8 individual gratin dishes or a 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and combine them with panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on top. Bake 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling, and top is golden.
—Recipe by Chef Jon Ashton