Little Ear Pasta with Garden Bolognese Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
Loads of fresh vegetables are featured in this beautiful bolognese sauce.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb spice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 2 cups chopped portabella mushroom (about 1 large one)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (26-ounce) jar favorite marinara sauce
- 1 pound box of orecchiette pasta (any shape)
- 1 cup shredded, low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a large sauce pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot, zucchini, red pepper, garlic, Italian herbs, crushed red chili and mushrooms, sauté for 3 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 minute to reduce wine, and then add sauce. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle with both cheeses and basil.
Recipe by Chef Steven Petusevsky