Linguine with Mussels and Red Peppers
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 10 mins
Place an extra bowl in the center of the table so everyone can toss the shells in as they eat the pasta. Want more heat? Add up to 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes with the chives.
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 8cloves garlic, minced
- 2pounds mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 3-- jarred roasted red peppers or pimientos, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/3cup chopped fresh chives or minced green parts of scallions
- 1cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1pound dried linguine, cooked and drained
- 1/2cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Place oil and garlic in large saucepan or deep skillet; set over low heat and cook until aromatic, about 3 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add mussels, chopped peppers or pimientos, and chives; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add wine or vermouth and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until mussels have opened, 7 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Add cooked pasta and cheese; toss to serve.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarborough.