Linguine with Purple Cabbage
- Yield 4 servings
Long strands of linguine combine with long strands of garlic-flavored cabbage in this delicious, simple dish.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head red cabbage, thinly sliced (8 cups/560 g)
- 1 pound linguine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced onions, cover, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender and glistening, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 3 minutes longer, uncovered, stirring periodically. Add the cabbage, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook the linguine according to package directions until al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup (235 ml) of the cooking water in a bowl or cup. Return the pasta to the empty pot.
- Add the cabbage-onion mixture to the pasta in the pot. Pour in the reserved pasta cooking water and toss well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to bowls, sprinkle with the pine nuts, and serve.
Serving suggestions and variations:
- Pulse the toasted pine nuts in a food processor before mixing with the cabbage and pasta.
- Toasted walnuts, in place of the pine nuts, add an earthy flavor to the dish.
–From the cookbook Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, used with permission of the publisher