Lime Shrimp in Tortillas
- Yield 8 servings
This marinated shrimp dish is rolled up in warm flour tortillas and served with your favorite toppings.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons defatted chicken broth OR seafood stock, less salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes or cilantro
- 1 pound fresh peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 -- green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 -- warm 6- to 8-inch flour tortillas
- -- Optional topping: salsa, shredded reduced fat cheese, light sour cream or yogurt.
- Combine lemon or lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chicken broth, garlic, pepper, salt, and parsley falkes in zippered plastic bag. Add shrimp and marinate 15 to 30 minutes. In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 2 teaspoons olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and discard marinade from shrimp. Add shrimp to skillet and cook 5 to 8 minutes until done. Serve with tortillas and desired toppings.
Variation: To make this a Shrimp Fajitas dish add 2 teaspoons chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin to the marinade and proceed with recipe as above.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Baton Rouge’s River Road Recipes III (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 1994).