Lima Bean Casserole
- Yield: 15 to 20 servings
- 2 16 ounce bags frozen baby lima beans
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell peper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2cup black olives, sliced
- 1cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 rounded tablespoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water)
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder
- pepper to taste
- Cook lima beans until tender. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Saute onion, bell pepper and garlic in the olive oil in a deep skillet. Add olives. Drain beans, reserving 1 and 1/4 cups of cooking liquid. Add beans to onion mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese, and set aside. In the pan used to cook beans, add cornstarch to reserved cooking liquid. Stair in salt and chili powder. Bring liquid to a boil, and stir until clear. Add more cornstarch if a thicker sauce is desired. Season to taste. Place beans in a lightly greased 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Pour the sauce evenly over top. Bake, covered with foil, for about 45 minutes. Remove foil, and add remaining cheese. Return to oven, and bake until the cheese melts.
Tips from Our Test Kitchen: This recipe serves a crowd. Reduce it by half or freeze half if desired.
—Glenna Sue Petz, Tracy, California