Lilly’s Asparagus Soup
- Yield 8 servings
A classic Kentucky spin on asparagus soup.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, chopped
- 2 pounds asparagus, chopped
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups rich chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces Italian goat cheese
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- In a soup pot over medium heat melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and leek and cook until the onion is golden brown. Add the asparagus, potato, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and purée in a blender. Strain into a clean soup pot. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cream.
- Serve warm or cold. Top each serving with the cheese and prosciutto.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Chris Chamberlain’s The Southern Foodie: 100 Places to Eat in the South (Thomas Nelson, 2012)