Light and Luscious Crab Soup
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Easy on the waistline, this tasty soup can be eaten alone or with the luxurious addition of lump crabmeat.
You could substitute large shrimp. A good pinch of saffron produces a fragrant, golden broth perfect for a celebration. Adjust the amount of red pepper flakes according to your taste. This soup can be made ahead, just reheat and add the parsley, lime juice and adjust the seasoning at the last minute.
- 4 -- (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 cup minced shallots or onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup diced fennel
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh chervil or flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 ounces crab meat, picked over to discard any shell or cartilage
- -- Avocado slices, for garnish (optional)
- -- Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
- -- Chervil sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine clam juice, water, shallots, carrot, fennel, celery, and saffron; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; add the chervil or parsley, lime juice, and salt to taste.
- To serve: Ladle the soup into four, warm, shallow, soup bowls and pile the crabmeat into the center; garnish with avocado slices, lime wedges and sprigs of chervil. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Tina Salter.