- 1tablespoon butter
- 1cup diced carrots
- 1/2cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon dried thyme or oregano leaves
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2pounds white mushrooms, sliced (about 9 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can ready-to-serve vegetable broth (may substitute for chicken broth for non-vegetarian recipe)
- 1cup white wine or water
- 1 1/2cups lowfat milk
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add carrots, onions, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring often, until onions just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, broth, and wine; bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the vegetables; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor place half of remaining soup from the saucepan; puree until smooth; remove to a bowl; repeat with remaining mixture; return entire pureed mixture to saucepan; stir in milk and reserved vegetables. Simmer just until heated through, about 5 minutes. If desired, garnish with thinly sliced green onion.
Timesaver tip: Cook up a double batch and freeze half for another dinner.