Light and Creamy Fresh Mushroom Soup
- Yield 6 servings
You'll want to make a double batch of this creamy mushroom soup, it's delicious and freezes well.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (scallions)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds white mushrooms, sliced (about 9 cups)
- 1 (15-ounce) can ready-to-serve vegetable broth (may substitute for chicken broth for non-vegetarian recipe)
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat milk
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add carrots, onions, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper; cook, stirring often, until onions just begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, broth, and wine; bring to a boil; cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove 1 cup of the vegetables; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor place half of remaining soup from the saucepan; puree until smooth; remove to a bowl; repeat with remaining mixture; return entire pureed mixture to saucepan; stir in milk and reserved vegetables. Simmer just until heated through, about 5 minutes. If desired, garnish with thinly sliced green onion.