Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) package lentils
- 1 1/2pounds Italian sausage
- 1large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6cups water
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 2tablespoons oregano
- 1/4cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Sort and rinse lentils. Combine with enough water to cover in a bowl. Soak for 3 hours or longer; drain.
- Brown the sausage with the onion and garlic in a stockpot, stirring until the sausage is crumbly; drain. Stir in the lentils, 6 cups water, carrots, bouillon cubes, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, cover.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spinach. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with the cheese.
- Prepare 1 day in advance to enhance the flavor. May freeze for future use.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Huntsville’s Sweet Home Alabama (Huntsville, Al., 1995).