Lentil Loaf with Mushrooms and Roasted Walnuts
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1 pound (454 g) dried lentils
- 2 quarts (1.9 L) vegetable stock
- 1 pound (454 g) mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 red or white onion, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup (59 mL) canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) ground sage
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) paprika
- 6 tablespoons (90 mL) cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup (59 mL) cold water
- ½ cup (118 mL) finely chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup (236 mL) roasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Cook the lentils in the stock for about 40 minutes until they begin to soften. Drain the lentils, reserving the stock. Place them in a large bowl and use a potato masher to break them up.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180°C). Oil a loaf pan or roasting pan.
- In a large sauté pan set over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms, celery, and onion in 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of the canola oil until the onion is softened, about 10 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from The Veganopolis Cookbook by David Stowell and George Black, Agate Surrey, 2010