Chickpea, Cheese and Onion Burgers
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1tablespoon tahini
- 2tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1cup shredded Gruyère
- 1cup crumbled feta
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender but not colored. Add garlic, cumin and cayenne, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Put lentils and chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add onion mixture, tahini and parsley, and pulse again until combined and nearly smooth. Spoon into a large bowl and add egg, breadcrumbs and cheeses. Mix using your hands and add salt and pepper. Shape into patties and lightly dust with flour.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet. Place burgers in pan cook until golden on both sides.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Paul, Stella and Mary McCartney’s Meat Free Monday Cookbook (Kyle Books, 2012).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 638
- Fat 34g
- Cholesterol 123mg
- Sodium 1428mg
- Carbohydrate 52g
- Fiber 9g
- Protein 31g