Chickpea, Cheese and Onion Burgers
- Yield 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat until tender but not colored. Add garlic, cumin and cayenne, and cook 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
- Put lentils and chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add onion mixture, tahini and parsley, and pulse again until combined and nearly smooth. Spoon into a large bowl and add egg, breadcrumbs and cheeses. Mix using your hands and add salt and pepper. Shape into patties and lightly dust with flour.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet. Place burgers in pan cook until golden on both sides.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Paul, Stella and Mary McCartney’s Meat Free Monday Cookbook (Kyle Books, 2012).