Lemon Thai Chicken
- Yield servings
- 4 -- boneless, skinless broiler fryer chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 -- (14.5 oz.) can fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced, divided (reserve half of slices for lemon twist garnishes)
- 1 large firm ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced lengthwise; divided
- 2 -- scallions, including green part, thinly sliced (garnish)
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds (garnish)
Slip one breast half into a large, freezer-weight re-sealable bag; pound to a 1/4" thickness with the flat side of a meat mallet. Remove from bag and set aside; repeat with remaining breast halves. On a large sheet of waxed paper, combine flour, cornstarch, curry powder, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Dredge to coat each cutlet in flour mixture; set aside. Reserve leftover flour mixture.
In a 12-inch skillet, with cover, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Cook two cutlets at a time until lightly browned on both sides, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove to plate. Melt remaining butter; repeat with remaining cutlets.
Stir reserved flour mixture into drippings in skillet. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken broth, water, lemon juice and red pepper flakes, stirring to loosen brown bits. As mixture is brought to boil, return browned cutlets to skillet. Lay half of lemon slices on top of the cutlets. When mixture begins to boil , reduce heat to low; cover, simmer about 5 minutes or just until fork tender and sauce is thickened. Remove from heat; discard cooked lemon slices.
Spoon cooked rice onto a large serving platter; top with cutlets and fan a fourth of sliced avocado against each. Spoon sauce overall; garnish with remaining lemon slices as twists, scallions and sesame seeds. 4 servings.