Lemony Asparagus and Chicken Pasta Toss
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 20 mins
A great option for brown-bag lunches.
Just as good cold as hot, this dish is great for a picnic or for lunch at work.
- 2 cans (14-ounce) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces uncooked short pasta (rotini or penne)
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add frozen chicken. Return to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 22 minutes. Remove chicken from broth, cool and shred.
- Increase heat to high and bring broth to a boil. Stir in pasta and continue to cook, uncovered, 6 minutes. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Drain pasta mixture and return to skillet. Add shredded chicken, pesto, lemon juice, salt and pepper; toss gently.
Recipe by Nancy Hughes.