Lemon Waffles with Lemon Cream
- Yield 4 to 5 servings
Try these zesty waffles for a welcomed change of pace.
- 5 -- egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 -- egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup cooled melted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 -- egg whites, stiffly beaten but not dry
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Combine 5 egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a double boiler and beat until thick and pale yellow. Blend in the scalded milk. Cook over simmering water for 8 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats a spoon, stirring constantly. Remove to a medium glass or porcelain bowl. Stir in 5 tablespoons lemon juice. Chill, covered, for 3 hours or longer. Beat 4 egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Blend in milk, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, lemon peel and melted butter. Sift in flour. Fold in egg whites. Spoon onto a hot greased waffle iron. Bake until golden brown. Fold the whipped cream into the chilled mixture. Serve immediately with the waffles.
Recipe reprinted with permission from America’s Most-Loved Community Cookbooks Recipes Worth Sharing (Nashville, Tn., 2008).