Lemon-Thyme Collard Greens
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Not your traditional collard greens, this version is fresh and light.
- 1 bunch collard greens, heavy center stems removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) can vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Wash the collard greens well and roll a few leaves at a time into a tight cylinder. Slice across the cylinder to produce thin strands. Repeat until all leaves are cut.
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan and add the onions and garlic. Saute 5 minutes until browned lightly. Add the pepper flakes, thyme sprig and cut collard greens. Continue to saute 2 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat and simmer 4 minutes or until greens are just tender. Season with salt and lemon juice and serve.