Lemon Tea Bread
- Yield: 8 servings
- 6tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/4cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup milk
- Grated lemon zest
- 1dash ground cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4cup sugar
- Cream the butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and lemon extract.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, mxing well after each addition.
- Stir in the lemon zest and cloves. Pour into a greased and floured 5×9-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour or until the bread tests done.
- Combine the lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl and mix well. Pour over the hot bread.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Chicago, Peeling the Wild Onion, a Collection of Chicago Culinary Culture (the Junior League of Chicago, 2008)