- Yield: 4
- 1 3/4cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/3cup margarine, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1 1/3cups sugar
- 1tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 3large egg whites
- 1large egg
- 1/3cup plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon butter extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour and 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture firmly and evenly into bottom of baking pan. Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Combine sugar, 1/4 cup flour, lemon rind, baking powder, egg whites and egg in medium bowl and blend with a whisk. Stir in 1/3 cup lemon juice and butter extract. Pour mixture over prepared crust. Bake 20 minutes, or until set.
- In a small dish, combine remaining 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice to make a glaze. Spread glaze over hot Lemon Squares. Let cool completely in pan.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 52
- Fat .8g
- Saturated Fat .1g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 32mg