- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 5 mins
Pair this lively sherbet with fresh berries or crisp cookies.
Serve with fresh raspberries or blackberries and crunchy ginger cookies.
- 1 packet (.25-ounce) unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in small bowl; set aside 5 minutes to soften.
- Warm 1 1/2 cups milk in medium saucepan over medium heat until small bubbles form around the edge. Stir in sugar and salt; remove from heat. Stir in gelatin mixture. Cool 5 minutes.
- Pour milk mixture into a blender or food processor. Add remaining milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla (mixture will look curdled); blend or process until smooth.
- Pour into large container, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Pour mixture into the canister of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.