Lemon scallops with Olive-Fig Compote
- Yield 4-6 servings
- Prep 12 minutes
- Cook 35 minutes
- 1 ( 6oz ) can California black ripe olives. halved
- 10 -- dried figs, chopped
- 1 -- sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl combine olives, figs, onions, balsamic vinegar, 2 TBSP olive oil, basil, fennel seeds, salt and lemon pepper.
Place mixture in a shallow baking dish, cover with foil.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm.
Rinse scallops in cold water and pat dry. Toss them with the remaining olive oil.
Heat a large skillet over high heat.
Sear the scallops about 1 minute on each side, until golden.
Lower the heat under the skillet and cook the scallops for approximately 3 more minutes, until done.
Spoon the olive-fig compote onto the serving plates.
Top with the seared scallops.
Drizzle scallops with lemon juice and sprinkle with lemon zest.