Lemon Raspberry Muffins
- Yield 12 to 16 pieces
These light, fruit-filled muffins are great for breakfast or dessert.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (if frozen, no syrup)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder, mixing well.
- In small bowl, combine milk, oil, lemon extract, egg and egg whites, blending well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until ingredients are moistened. Carefully fold in raspberries and lemon rind.
- Line muffin pan with papers and fill 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 18 to 23 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Yield: 12 to 16 muffins.
Recipe by Holly Clegg. Reprinted with permission from The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Running Press, 2006).