Lemon Raspberry Bread
- Yield 12 pieces
A wonderful source of healthy flavonoids, raspberries are the perfect addition to this quick bread.
If using frozen raspberries, defrost before adding to batter. Blueberries can be substituted.
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 -- (8-ounce) container nonfat lemon yogurt
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg whites, lemon rind, and vanilla; beat until well blended. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture alternately with the yogurt to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stir in raspberries. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven; place on a wire rack.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan; bring to a boil and cook 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Pierce top of bread several times with a fork or toothpick. Pour sugar mixture over bread; cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.