Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- Yield: 24 servings
- 1 1/4cups unsalted butter, room temperature (2 1/2 sticks)
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 1/2cups sugar
- 2 freshly grated zest of 2 lemons
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4teaspoons pure bourbon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2teaspoons poppy seeds
- Pistachio Crumble
- 2/3cup sugar
- 2/3cup pistachios, roughly chopped or ground
- 1/2cup almond flour
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1/2cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- Jam layer
- 13ounces raspberry preserves with seeds, such as Bonne Maman
- Prep Bundt cake pan: grease pan with unsalted butter or nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the batter: In the bowl of a large mixer, cream together unsalted butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes on medium speed.
- Add sugar, lemon peel, eggs, and vanilla, and beat for approximately 3-5 minutes, until eggs are whipped and the fragrant lemon zest is released. Then, add flour, salt, and poppy seeds until well incorporated.
- To make pistachio crumble: In a large bowl, whisk sugar, pistachios, almond flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Incorporate butter and crumble the mixture by hand, until mixture has a fine, crumbly texture.
- Assemble the cake: Fill bundt pan half-full with batter. Spread raspberry jam over batter, and cover with remaining batter (mold should be three-quarters-full). Cover with pistachio crumble.
- Bake 55–75 minutes until it is golden brown and gives a light bounce to the touch. Allow to cool 15–20 minutes. To remove cake from pan, place a half-sheet tray or plate over the top of the cake. Flip it all over at once so it is upside-down, and lift the mold off.
Courtesy of Cafe Grumpy. Recipe from The Unofficial GIRLS Guide to New York: Inside the Cafes, Clubs, and Neighborhoods of HBO’s Girls by Judy Gelman and Peter Zheutlin (Smart Pop, 2013)