Lemon Pineapple Trifle
- Yield 10 servings
When tart lemon custard is combined with the pineapple-lemon filling, lemon lovers will not be able to contain themselves.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup hot water
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen light whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 24 ladyfingers
- In a medium saucepan, mix cornstarch and sugar. Gradually add cold water, stirring to mix. Add hot water and lemon juice and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened and then gradually pour 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk in a small bowl, stirring constantly. Return mixture to custard and continue cooking 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Divide the custard in half and mix half with cream cheese, mixing with a fork or whisk to blend. Mix in pineapple. Fold half he whipped topping into pineapple custard mixture; set aside. In a trifle bowl or a large glass bowl, place a layer of ladyfingers along the bottom and around the side of the dish. Spread bottom with half the plain lemon custard. Spread with half the pineapple-lemon filling. Top with remaining ladyfingers. Spread with remaining plain lemon custard and top with remaining pineapple-lemon filling. Top with remaining whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.