Lemon Pepper Pasta with Spinach and Walnuts
- Yield 4 servings
Simple flavors harmonize in this pasta dish. Caramelizing the red onions adds a subtle sweet flavor; the lemon pepper and citrus juice round everything out while adding a bit of heat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups loose-packed spinach leaves, triple washed
- 1 (1-pound) box dried orecchiette pasta, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted*
- Salt and lemon pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and brown lightly, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and saute until soft. Add spinach and mix well. Cook 30 seconds or only until spinach is just wilted. Add cooked pasta and toss to combine. Add walnuts, season with salt and lemon pepper; squeeze lemon halves over all. Serve immediately.
*To toast nuts: Place walnuts on a baking pan and brown lightly in a 325-degree oven 8 minutes. This gives them a very nice aroma and toasty flavor.