Lemon Merigue Pie
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Always a favorite!
- 5 -- eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 6 to 8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- -- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 -- 9-inch pie crust baked
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Separate 3 eggs, saving 3 whites for meringue.
- Beat 2 eggs and 3 yolks until light; add sugar gradually, beating constantly.
- Add water, lemon juice and rind, then put in double boiler over hot water.
- Add butter and cook until thickened. Pour mixture into baked pie crust.
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add cream or tartar and continue beating until stiff enough to hold a point.
- Gradually beat in sugar and continue beating until mixture is stiff and glossy. Spread on pie filling.
- Bake in a preheated 300F oven for 15-20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Columbus’ A Southern Collection Then and Now (The Junior League of Columbus, Georgia, Inc., 1994).