Lemon Grass Tofu
- Yield 4 servings
This Vietnamese-inspired main dish stars the fresh taste of lemon grass along with ginger, chiles and soy sauce.
Lemon grass can be found in Asian markets and some supermarkets in the produce section where fresh herbs are sold. It also is available pureed in large tubes. If using fresh stalks, trim the bottom end off and use the bottom 3 inches, minced, discarding the top section.
- 2 serrano or jalapeno chile peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound firm tofo cut, into 1-inch squares
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon peanut or canola oil
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- Combine peppers, lemon grass, sugar, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. Add onions, tofu and zucchini. Marinate 20 minutes or refrigerate, covered, overnight if you have time.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat and add marinated onions, tofu and zucchini. Brown vegetables and tofu, stirring constantly, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve over basmati rice.