Lemon Ginger Zinger Cookies
- Yield 4 to 5
Taste the gourmet in these cookies flavored with zesty lemon and ginger.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, freshly grated and divided
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add ginger, egg, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon zest; beat until combined. Gradually add flour mixture; mix well. Cover dough and chill 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining zest and superfine sugar; set aside.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons, 2 inches apart, onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Dip the bottom of a glass into the lemon sugar mixture and flatten dough; repeat for all cookies. Place remaining lemon sugar mixture in a sifter and sift additional sugar over each cookie. Bake 9 to 12 minutes until edges begin to brown. Allow cookies to cool on sheet 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack; cool completely. Store at room temperature in an airtight container with wax paper between layers for up to 1 week.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board