Deep-Dish Lemon Chess PIe
- Yield: 8 servings
'There are many chess pie recipes. When you taste the zest in this recipe, which most people don't expect, you'll never make a plain chess pie again.'
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish unbaked piecrust
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2cups sugar
- 2tablespoons cornmeal
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 3tablespoons butter, melted
- 3tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Brush the piecrust with the egg white. Bake it for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cornmeal, and flour. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, melted butter, and milk. Mix well, and pour into the piecrust. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center is set. Serve warm or cool.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen:
Only fresh lemon juice and zest will do. Serve this elegant pie with whipped cream.
Recipe by Betty Martin, Smithville, Tenn.