Lemon-Cherry Olive Oil Cupcakes
- Yield: 12 pieces
- 1cup white whole wheat flour
- 1cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/3cup plus 1/2 c buttermilk
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2cups fresh or frozen thawed cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 2tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine first five ingredients (flour through salt) in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer cream together eggs and sugar (about one minute). Add 1/3 cup buttermilk and about half of the flour mixture. Beat at medium speed until combined. Add remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk, remaining flour mixture, almond extract, and the lemon zest and juice. Beat at medium speed until combined. Add olive oil gradually by pouring in a thin stream while mixer is still running. Turn off mixer and stir cherries into batter.
- For topping, combine butter, oats and brown sugar in small bowl using clean hands. Keep doing this until the butter is distributed throughout and mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Place liners in a standard muffin tin. Divide batter equally among the 12 cups. Evenly distribute topping among 12 cups; gently press topping into batter. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, room temperature, or reheated with butter.
Katie Newell, healthnutfoodie.com