- Yield: 8 to 12 servings
- 2-- (3-ounce) packages unfilled ladyfingers, split
- 1-- (1/4-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4cup fresh lemon juice
- 5-- eggs, beaten
- 1/2cup sugar
- -- Pinch of salt
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- 1cup whipping cream
- 3tablespoons apricot preserves
- 3tablespoons orange marmalade
- -- Juice of 1 orange
- 1tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/4cup slivered almonds
- Line the bottom and sides of a 7- or 8-inch springform pan or a bowl with ladyfingers. Soften gelatin in lemon juice in a bowl. Place bowl over hot water to dissolve gelatin. Combine eggs, sugar and salt in the top of a double boilder over simmering water. Beat with an electric mixer until thick and light colored. Add gelatin mixture and lemon zest, beating a few more seconds. Whip cream while mixture cools. Fold cream into cooled mixture. Pour over ladyfingers in pan. Refrigerate overnight. To serve, spoon sauce over individual servings.
- To make sauce, heat preserves, marmalade, orange juice and lemon juice in a saucepan over low heat until melted. In a separate pan, melt butter. Add almonds and saute until lightly browned. Add almonds to sauce. Blend well and remove from heat. Serve sauce at room temperature.
Recipe reprinted with permission from St. Andrew’s School’sFirst Come First Served, In Savannah (St. Andrew’s School, Savannah, Georgia, 2001).