- Yield 8 servings
This recipe layers during cooking to form cake plus custard.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 to 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- -- Grated peel from one lemon
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 -- egg yolks, well beaten
- 3 -- egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Thoroughly mix first 6 ingredients. Add milk, heated to point just before boiling, to the egg yolks very slowly; then add this to the above mixture. Fold in egg whites. Grease ramekins and fill with mixture. Place ramekins in pan with at least 1-inch of hot water and bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Les Passees’ Well Seasoned A Southern Classic (Les Passees, Inc., Memphis, Tn., 1982).