Lemon Asparagus Penne
- Yield 4 servings
A great summer pasta recipe using fresh asparagus, broccoli, bell peppers, tomatoes, onion and spinach.
- 1/2 box penne
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 -- red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 -- sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bunch spinach
- 3 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (1 to 2 lemons)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- -- Red pepper flakes
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a baking sheet, add asparagus, broccoli, pepper and squash. Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Roast vegetables for approximately 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on box, drain and set aside. (Save 2 tablespoons pasta water for sauce.)
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, spinach, and sundried tomatos and continue to saute 2 to 3 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and dash red pepper flakes.
- Add white wine, lemon juice and reserved pasta water and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add roasted vegetables to skillet and toss to combine.
- Add 1/4 cup parmasean cheese and stir to combine.
- Add cooked pasta to skillet and toss everything together. Let simmer for 2 to 5 minutes to reheat the pasta.
- Transfer to a large serving dish. Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup parmesean cheese and parsley.