Lemon and Oregano Lamb
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2cups fresh lemon juice (6 to 7 lemons)
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 1tablespoon heaping, dried oregano
- 3pounds 5 ounces leg of lamb, bone hacked in one place and hinged, so it fits in the dish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2pounds 10 ounces potatoes, cut into big chunks
- Mix the lemon juice, olive oil and oregano with 1½ cups of water in a large nonreactive baking dish. Rub the lamb well all over with salt and black pepper and put it in the marinade. Turn it over a couple of times to coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning it frequently throughout your waking hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Transfer lamb and marinade to a roasting pan and cover the lamb with a sheet of parchment paper, and then cover the pan tightly with 3 layers of aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour. Turn the lamb over, cover again and reduce the heat to 300°F.
- Bake the lamb for another 2 hours. Now turn the lamb gently, as it will be very tender. Add the potatoes to the dish and sprinkle a little salt over them. Cover again and bake for 2 hours, turning the potatoes once during this time. Remove the foil, shuffle the potatoes and put back in the oven at 400°F. Roast until a little golden here and there, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the lamb rest for 5 minutes before serving.