Easy Lemon Almond Tart
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2cups flour
- 4ounces (1 stick) butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 3tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2cup iced water
- 3large eggs
- 3/4cup sugar
- 8tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 5tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1cup ground almonds
- To prepare the crust: In a food processor, place flour, butter, shortening, sugar and salt. Pulse on and off until dough is size of peas. Slowly, with motor running, add enough iced water to form a moist ball. Do not overwork the dough. Remove from work bowl and knead on floured work surface into a ball, refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll out dough to a 12-inch diameter circle. Press dough into a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Cut away excess dough. Set aside.
- To prepare the filling: In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until frothy and lemon colored. Beat in lemon juice and lemon zest. Gradually pour in the melted butter, vanilla extract and ground almonds. Beat until well combined and pour into prepared tart shell. Bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes or until filling is set. Allow the tart to cool to room temperature before removing outer ring of tart pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into 8 wedges.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Marguerite Marceau Henderson’s Savor the Memories (2002).