Lemon Almond Tart
- Yield 8 servings
This zesty lemon tart is sure to satisfy your sweet craving.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 -- eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- -- Confectioners' sugar
- Process the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 cup almonds and salt in a food processor until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Add 7 tablespoons butter 1 piece at a time, pulsing until the mixture is the texture of coarse meal. Add a mixture of the water and almond extract. Process until moist clumps form. Form the dough into a ball and flatten. Press the dough evenly over the bottom and up the side of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Whisk the eggs and 1 1/4 cups sugar in a saucpan. Add the lemon juice and lemon peel. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until thickened, whisking constantly; do not boil. Remove from the heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons butter. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Chill for 2 hours or until cold, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the crust from the freezer. Line the crust with foil and fill pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F.
- Spread the chilled lemon juice mixture on the cooled crust. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup almonds. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling puffs slightly and begins to crack around the edges. The center should jiggle slightly. Cool on a wire rack. Remove the side from the tart pan. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Phoenix’s Reflections Under the Sun (the Junior League of Phoenix Inc., Phoenix, Az., 1999).