Legendary Hot Brown from the Brown Hotel
- Yield 2 servings
The turkey and cheese sauce sandwich made famous at the Brown Hotel.
Though the Brown Hotel makes this recipe for two people, you may want to double the amount of bread, bacon and tomatoes and serve it to four. It’s rich.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounces sliced roasted turkey breat
- 2 slices thickly sliced bread, crusts trimmed, toasted
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into halves
- Chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk in flour until combined. Cook until a thick paste (roux) forms. Continue cooking 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in heavy cream and cook until mixture begins to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper.
- For each Hot Brown, place a slice of toast in an oven-safe dish. Cover with turkey. Place tomato halves alongside. Pour sauce over top to completely cover. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place dish under a broiler and cook until cheese begins to bubble and brown. Remove from broiler, cross 2 pieces of bacon on top, and sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Brown Hotel, Louisville, Ky.