Legendary Hot Brown from the Brown Hotel
- Yield: 2 servings
Though the Brown Hotel makes this recipe for two people, you may want to double the amount of bread, bacon and tomatoes and serve it to four. It’s rich.
- 1/4cup butter
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1/2cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 14ounces sliced roasted turkey breat
- 2slices thickly sliced bread, crusts trimmed, toasted
- 4slices cooked bacon
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into halves
- Chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Whisk in flour until combined. Cook until a thick paste (roux) forms. Continue cooking 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in heavy cream and cook until mixture begins to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper.
- For each Hot Brown, place a slice of toast in an oven-safe dish. Cover with turkey. Place tomato halves alongside. Pour sauce over top to completely cover. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place dish under a broiler and cook until cheese begins to bubble and brown. Remove from broiler, cross 2 pieces of bacon on top, and sprinkle with paprika and parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Brown Hotel, Louisville, Ky.