Leek and Potato Gratin
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2pounds small, white, red, or Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5-- leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1-inch lengths, and well washed
- 2cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1cup heavy cream
- 1/2cup milk
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, parcook the potatoes for 5 minutes. Drain.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the leeks to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, arrange half of the potatoes over the bottom. Pour 1/2 cup of the cream and 1/4 cup of the milk over the top and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Top with the sautéed leeks and arrange the remaining potatoes on top. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cream and 1/4 cup milk over the potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, the top is golden brown, and most of the cream and milk have been absorbed. Serve sprinkled with the parsley.
Recipes and images reprinted with permission from The Beekman 1802 Heirloom Cookbook © 2011 by Brent Ridge and Josh Kilmer-Purcell, Sterling Epicure, an imprint of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.