- Yield: 3 dozen
- 1/2cup honey
- 1/2cup molasses
- 3/4cup brown sugar
- 1tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1-- egg, slightly beaten
- 3cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1teaspoon allspice
- 1/2teaspoon cloves
- 1/2teaspoon nutmeg
- 1cup finely chopped citron and/or nuts
- -- Multi-colored candy sprinkles
- Lemon Icing:
- 3tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2cups powdered sugar
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- Bring honey and molasses to a boil. Let cool. Add sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, and egg. SIft together flour, baking soda and spices. Add flour mixture and citron and/or nuts to honey mixture. Mix well. Chill dough at least 12 hours.
- Working with half the dough, roll out to about 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface. Cut into 2×3 bars. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool. Spread Lemon Icing on bars and top with multi-colored candy sprinkles.
- To prepare the icing. Mix butter, and powdered sugar. Beat in lemon juice. Spread on Lebkuchen.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League Springfield Publication’s Honest to Goodness(Springfield, Illinois, 1990).