Lazy Daisy Cake with Broiled Icing
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4 eggs
- 2cups granulated sugar
- 2cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1cup hot milk
- 4tablespoons butter or margarine (not spread)
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 10tablespoons brown sugar
- 4tablespoons cream or canned evaporated milk
- 1cup sweetened coconut (flaked or shredded)
- Heat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Add sugar and beat with mixer on medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder; mix on medium speed until blended.
- Add hot milk, butter and vanilla; mix on medium speed until very well blended.
- Pour batter into a greased 9″ x 12″ baking pan; bake in oven 35-40 minutes.
- While cake is baking, in a small bowl mix together melted butter, brown sugar, cream and coconut.
- When cake is baked, spread icing over hot cake. Move oven rack to 3″ under broiler and turn on oven broiler. Return cake to oven under the broiler. Broil for a few minutes until coconut is lightly browned and topping is bubbly. Watch carefully while broiling the topping so it doesn’t burn.