- Yield 8 servings
Canned vegetables are layered with cheese and breadcrumbs in this easy casserole.
If you wish to use fresh vegetables, they need to be precooked before putting this dish together.
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet peas, drained
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cut asparagus spears, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (8-ounce) can mushrooms pieces and stems, drained
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can 97% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon light stick margarine, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Layer peas, asparagus, water chestnuts and mushrooms in a 2-quart casserole dish in the order listed.
- In a small bowl, combine the mushroom soup, cayenne and cheese. Spread over the layered vegetables. Combine breadcrumbs with margarine and sprinkle over the top. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
Recipe by Holly Clegg