Layered Red Beans and Rice
- Yield 6 servings
Red beans are layered with smoked sausage and topped with a savory tomato sauce in this one-dish meal.
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 2 -- (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 cup burgundy
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and green pepper in butter for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and add beans. In another pan bring the wine and bay leaf to a boil. Add the tomato paste to hot wine and stir until dissolved. Arrange beans and sliced sausage in layers in 9×13-inch casserole. Salt and pepper each layer. Remove bay leaf from the wine mixture and pour this over top of beans and sausage. Bake at 350F for 40 to 50 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Birmingham’s Magic (Birmingham, Alabama, 1982).