Layered Red Beans and Rice
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2medium green peppers, chopped
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 2-- (16-ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1cup burgundy
- 1-- bay leaf
- 2tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4pound smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions and green pepper in butter for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and add beans. In another pan bring the wine and bay leaf to a boil. Add the tomato paste to hot wine and stir until dissolved. Arrange beans and sliced sausage in layers in 9×13-inch casserole. Salt and pepper each layer. Remove bay leaf from the wine mixture and pour this over top of beans and sausage. Bake at 350F for 40 to 50 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Birmingham’s Magic (Birmingham, Alabama, 1982).