Layered Oatmeal Chocolate Bars
- Yield 3 dozen
These chocolate bars are rich and delicious.
- Chocolate Layer:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 small (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cookie Layer:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 -- egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups quick cooking oats, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (1 7×11-inch pan will work also).
- To prepare the chocolate layer. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, chocolate chips, milk and sugar. Cook, stirring, until melted and mixed together. Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Set aside to cool while you make the cookie layer.
- To prepare the cookie layer. With an electric mixer using the whisk attachment, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and continue beating until light and fluffy. In a separate mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and 1 3/4 cups of the oats. Beat into the butter mixture just until blended. Press 3/4 of the cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, pushing down with moistened fingers into a tight, even layer. Spread the cooled chocolate mixture evenly over the top. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup oats into the remainder of the cooke dough. Sprinkle evenly over the chocolate layer.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate before cutting into 36 bars. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Sally Clayton and Lee Clayton Roper’s A Well-Seasoned Kitchen (Denver, Co., 2009).