Layered Lettuce Salad
- Yield 4 servings
"This is very good at holiday times or on hot days."
- 1 small head Iceberg lettuce, torn in bite-size pieces (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Layer the lettuce, celery, bell pepper, onion, peas, Cheddar, and bacon in the order listed in a shallow pasta bowl or 13 x 9-inch casserole dish.
- Combine the mayonnaise and sugar in a small bowl. Spoon over the top of the casserole, using the back of a spoon to spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Recipe by Lucille Cathelyn, Geneseo, Ill.