Lamb with Curry Sauce
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
"My husband's parents did not like turkey, so we had lamb for Thanksgiving."
- 1/2cup dry sherry
- 1/2cup chopped pitted dates or seedless raisins
- 1tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1tablespoon chicken bouillon granules or 3 cubes
- 2tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1/4teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds whole lamb leg roast
- Parsley, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the sherry, dates, ginger, bouillon, soy sauce, curry, garlic salt, and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl; mix well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the lamb and brown on all sides. Place the lamb in a Dutch oven on a wire rack. Pour the sherry mixture over the lamb, cover tightly, and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F., basting frequently with the sherry mixture.
- Remove the lamb from the oven. Place on a cutting board and let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Slice the lamb and arrange on a serving platter.
- Skim the fat from the pan liquids and pour the sauce evenly over all. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Helen Hough, Rockport, Texas