- Yield 6 servings
Lamb, combined with the squash and mushrooms, is a great alternative to the traditional stew.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless lamb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their own juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/3 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cubed yellow squash (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, over a medium-high heat, add the lamb, onion and garlic, cooking 5 minutes or until the lamb is lightly browned on all sides. Drain any excess grease. Add the tomatoes, carrot, white wine, rosemary and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat; cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the lamb is tender. Stir in the yellow squash and sliced mushrooms, cooking for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.