Lamb Shish Kabobs
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
You can substitute beef or chicken in place of the lamb.
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) leg of lamb or boned lamb shoulder
- 1 cup wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 small tomatoes
- 8 to 10 small white onions
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Cut lamb into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Combine vinegar, olive oil, chopped onions, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in large bowl; mix well. Add lamb and marinate, covered, in refrigerator overnight.
- Cut tomatoes, small onions and bell peppers into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Thread lamb, reserving marinade, and vegetables alternately onto skewers until all ingredients are used.
- Grill over hot coals for 15 to 20 minutes, turning to brown on all sides, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Cook to desired degree of doneness.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Great American Opportunities, Inc., Quick & Easy Grilling (Great American Opportunities, Inc., 2003)