Lamb and Green Beans over Rice
- Yield 6 servings
"My grandmothger used to make this Lamb and Green Beans over Rice for her family. Everyone loves it and it is so easy to make."
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cans water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces, uncooked
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
- 1 pound boneless lamb stew meat
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 medium potato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Add the tomatoes and water to a large kettle. Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat. Season with the salt and pepper. Add the green beans, cinnamon, and allspice. Cover loosely, and boil slowly until the beans are slightly cooked. Stir in the eggplant, and continue cooking, still covered loosely, at a slow boil.
- In another pan, melt the margarine, and brown the lamb and onions. Add the lamb, onions, and potatoes to the large kettle. Cook until the vegetables and meat are tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Allow the liquids to cook down and become thick enough to make a sauce. Season to taste, and serve over rice.
Recipe by Jan Hughes, Niagara Falls, N.Y.