Lady Peas with Bacon and Corn
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 50 mins
A delicious side dish featuring field peas or lima beans.
While black-eyed are the most popular field peas, you can find many kinds in the South, including purple hull, pink-eyed, lady and crowder peas. Any variety will work in this recipe, including lima beans.
- 2 cups shelled field peas (such as lady peas or black eye peas) or lima beans
- 4 ears fresh corn, cooked
- 4 slices bacon or country ham
- 2 shallots or green onion
- Place peas in a medium saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until crisp-tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Cut kernels from ears of corn.
- Place country ham or bacon in large skillet. Cook until crisp and browned. Remove from pan and chop or crumble. Discard all drippings except 2 tablespoons.
- Return pan to heat. Add shallots; sauté 5 minutes. Add peas, corn and bacon. Heat thoroughly.